HOW TO COMPLETE MISSED RAKAATS
HOW TO COMPLETE MISSED RAKAATS
- A PERSON WHO MISSES ONE OR MORE RAK’ATS IS TERMED AS A MASBUQ
- Remember you fulfill missed rak’ats as you missed them
- A masbuq will sit if his total number of rak’ats require him to sit
HOW TO JOIN A 2 RAKAAT SALAAT AS IN FAJR AND JUMAH SALAATS
- If one joins the Jamaat in the first rakaat, the general rule is to complete the salaat behind the Imam without reciting Thana. The method of doing so is: – stand – say Takbeer – fold the hands – pause then proceed with the Imam. Both rakaats are completed and nothing else is required.
- If the Imam was joined in the 2nd rakaat, (i.e. the entire first rakaat was missed) then do the same as the above – but when the Imam completes his salaat stand up, recite thana and perform the missed rakaat with tashahhud at the end. Tashahhud will be read twice in the salaat – i.e. – in both rakaats. (DurrulMukhtar, vol. 1. Pg 86)
- If one joined the Imam late in the second rakaat – (i.e. – in tashahhud) then join the salaat as above and continue but instead of completing only one missed rakaat -. complete two rakaats. Read tashahhud only in the last rakaat. (DurrulMukhtar, vol. 1. Pg. 86)
HOW TO JOIN A 3 RAKAAT SALAAT AS IN MAGHRIB AND THE WITR OF RAMADAN
- If a person joined the Imam in the first rakaat then join the Jamaat as explained earlier and complete the salaat with the Imam.
- If a person joined the Imam in the second rakaat, then join as above but continue until the Imam begins the second salaam – then stand up and complete the missed rakaat with tashahhud.
- If a person joined the Imam in the last (third) rakaat, then do the same as 2 above but instead of completing one missed rakaat – he will have to complete two rakaats. Read tashahhud in both these rakaats.
- NB:lt is very IMPORTANT to note’ that both the repeated rakaats in 3 above must contain the tashahhud If a person forgot to sit in one of them Sajda-e-sahw will be necessary before the final salaam. If one completely forgot about Sajda-e-sahw, then the salaat will have to be repeated This is the only case if one joins a three rakaat salaat in the final rakaat.
- If a person joins the salaat in the tashahhud of the final rakaat then he must stand up when the Imam completes his salaat, and complete all three rakaats in the normal way including thana in the first rakaat.
- If surah Naas was read in the second rakaat then the masbooq can read any surah he likes in the missed rakaats. (Durrul Mukhtar, vol. 1. Pg. 557)
HOW TO JOIN A FOUR RAKAAT SALAAT AS IN ZUHR, ASR AND ESHA
- If the masbooq joins the Imam in the first rakaat then he should join with Takbeer, no thana, and listen to the Imam and complete with him. No rakaats have been missed.
- If the masbooq joins the Imam in the second rakaat then he should join as above but when the Imam completes his salaat, he should stand up and complete the first missed rakaat with: 1. Qiyaam, 2. Thana, 3. Fatiha, 4. Surah, 5. Tashahhud and 6. Salaam.
- If the masbooq joined the Imam in the third rakaat then he should continue as above but after completion of the first missed rakaat he should stand up before salaam and tashahhud (i.e. he should not recite tashahhud in the first missed rakaat. After the sajdas – he should stand up and recite another full rakaat with tashahhud and salaam). In both these missed rakaat an additional surah must be read after Surah Fatiha. (i.e. 1. Qiyaam. 2. Fatiha, 3. Surah, 4. Ruku, and 5. Sijda in the 1st missed rakaat and 1. Qiyaam, 2. Fatiha, 3. Surah, 4. Ruku, 5. Sijda, 6. Tashahhud, 7. Salaam in the second missed rakaat. (DurrulMukhtar, Vol. 1, Pg. 86)
- If the Masbooq joined in the 4th rakaat then he should stand up after the Imam completes his salaat and read 1. Thana, 2. Fâtihah, 3. Surah and 4. Tashahhud. In the next rakaat Surah Fatiha and Surah but no tashahhud. In the last rakaat only Surah Fatiha no surah and tashahhud. (DurrulMukhtar, vol. 1. Pg. 86)
- If the masbooq joined the Imam in the tashahhud of the 4th rakaat – then he should stand up and read the whole 4 rakaats as normal (i.e. with 1. Thana, 2. Fathiha, 3. Surah etc.)
- There is Qaza for Fard or Waajib Salaat.
- There is NO Qaza for Nafl salaat. However a Nafl salaat that was broken after it was started will have to be repeated.
- The Sunnat of Fajr could be made Qaza if it is done before Zawwaal.
- The 4 Sunnat-e- muakkida on the day of Jumah can be performed. After Jumah salaat if missed.
- Tayamum cannot be performed by a masbooq for any namaaz which has a substitute. Eid and Janaazah namaaz have no Qaza or substitute and therefore – the masbooq may perform tayamum for these two.
- The general rule is to miss Thana if one joins the Jamaat later in the 1st rakaat.
- If the masbooq joins the Imam after proper Qiyaam (standing) and goes in Ruku, then the rakaat is valid.
- If the masbooq proceeds for Qiyaam to Ruku while the Imam begins to recite “Sami Allahu liman Hamida”, then the ruku is not valid, thus invalidating the rakaat as well.
- The masbooq can join the Imam in any position after reciting Takbeer, standing and then proceeding to the position of the Imam.
- A masbooq must not turn his face with the Imam when the Imam is performing Sajda-e-sahw.
- The masbooq completing the rak’aats of the vocal (Fajr, Maghrib and Esha) Salaat has the option of either reciting the Salaat silently or audibly. If, however he decided to recite it audibly, then he should do so in lowest possible voice. (Durrul Mukhtar and marginal notes Shami, vol. 1, pg. 498)
- If for some reason, the Imams Salaat is invalid, the masbooq’s Salaat is also invalidated. (Shami. vol. 1, pg. 553)
- The masbooq after reciting the Tashahhud in the last sitting of the Jamaat may:
- Remain silent and wait for the Imam to make Salaam.
- Repeat the Tashahhud
- Recite the second Kalimah.
- A person has to join the Jamaat before the recitation of “meem” in the first Salaam to be classified as a masbooq for this is the part where the Sa1aat ends. (Shami, vol. 1, pg. 346)
- If the masbooq joins the Jamaat just before the Salaam, then it is better for him to recite the Tashahhud before rising to complete the missing rak’aats. (Shami, vol. 1, pg. 463)
- The Salaat of a masbooq is valid even if he does not fold his hands after reciting the Takbeer-e- Tahrima but proceeds directly to join the Imam in whatever position he is in. (Bakrul Raiq)
- The masnûn method of joining the Imam in Ruku is to recite the Takbeer-Tahrima first, fold the hands, recite another Takbeer and then go into the Ruku. If the masbooq joins the Imam without folding his hands or reciting the other Takbeer, the Salaat as well as the rak’aat are still valid.