What is Muraqabah and how do you do it?
I am an engineering student and I want to learn the method of doing Muraqaba. Could you please teach me.
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu `alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.
Dear Brother in Islam,
We commend your enthusiasm and desire to gain the love of Allah (Ta’ala).
Before explaining the method of Muraqaba, we would like to draw your attention to the following:
1. Muraqabaat, Adhkaar, Ashghaal, e.t.c are not the objective in Tasawwuf (spiritual reformation). These practices serve as aides in achieving the real objective which is the Ma’rifat of Allah (Ta’ala). One should always keep the aim and objective in mind.
2. It is advisable that one have a spiritual mentor (Shaykh) to correctly administer these Muraqabaat, Awraadh, Adhkaar, e.t.c.
Muraqabah is referred to as “meditation” in the English language.
Hadhrat Mufti Mahmood al- Hasan Gangohi (Rhmatullahi Alayhi) states:
“Muraqabah is done for one to reflect over one’s sins and to think of a method of how to make Tawba for committing such sins”. (Malfoodhaat, Pg.428, Ta’leemi Board)
There are different types of Muraqabah. Some of them are as follows:
1. Muraqabah to dispel the inclination to commit sin.
2. Muraqabah to dispel sin.
3. Muraqabah of death.
4. Muraqabah of the punishment in the Aakhirah.
5. Muraqabah Tafweedhiyyah.
6. Muraqabah Tawheediyyah.
7. Muraqabah Ishqiyyah.#
We advise one to practice on the following method of doing Muraqabah:
“Stipulate a certain amount of time daily, free the mind of all thoughts, e.t.c. and focus the mind on one’s sins, the despicability of sin, how to make Tawba for one’s sins and the fact that Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’ala) is watching one at all times. Insha’Allah, over a period of time the inclination to do sins will gradually diminish and the inclination to do good deeds will be created.”
In addition to doing the above, we advise one to do the following:
1. Abstain from all types of sins as far as possible.
2. Fulfill the rights of others.
3. Perform the five Fardh Salaah daily.
We advise you to report your spiritual condition after every ten days until such time that you find a Shaykh.
(These spiritual practices should not be done by anyone without the permission of one’s Shaykh (spiritual guide).
And Allah knows best.
Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Dar al- Mahmood