Yearly Report – Darul Iftaa Mahmudiyyah – 2013
Alhamdullillah, the Darul Iftaa was established in the year 2011. It was named Darul Iftaa Mahmudiyya by my esteemed ustaad, Hadhrath Mufti Ahmed Khanpuri Sahab Damat Barakatuhum and attributed to my Shaikh and Murshid Hadhrath Mufti Mahmood Hasan Gangohi Rahmatullahi Alaih.
It is with the Barakah and Duaas of My Shaikh Hadhrath Mufti Mahmood Hasan Gangohi Rahmatullahi Alaih, Hadhrath Mufti Ahmed Khanpuri Sahab Damat Barakatuhum, Hadhrath Moulana Yusuf Kawi Sahab Damat Barakatuhum and Hadhrath Moulana Suleman Choksi Sahab Damat Barakatuhum and all my Asatizah that we observed great Barakah and blessings at the Darul Iftaa.
The original building of the Darul Iftaa could facilitate 5 full time students. There were many requests from the Ulama to study at the Darul Iftaa. This led to the expansion project of the Darul Iftaa and Alhamdulillah the project is now complete and it can accommodate for 15 full time students. We make Dua Allah accepts the contributions of all our kind donors. May Allah make the Darul Iftaa a Sawaab-e-Jariyah for them. Ameen.
This year, 8 Ulama qualified as Muftis:
1. Mufti Abdul Azeem from New Orleans, USA
2. Mufti Abdul Hannan from Chicago, USA
3. Mufti Ismail Desai from Durban, South Africa
4. Mufti Mahmood Patel from Azaadville, South Africa
5. Mufti Saanwal Noor Muhammad from Leicester, UK
6. Mufti Saeed Golaub from Jamaica
7. Mufti Husein Essa from Maputo, Mozambique
8. Mufti Mohammad Ashhad bin Saeed from Mauritius
All these students have completed their 2 year course and completed the Nisaab of Iftaa. The general Nisaab includes reading 9 volumes of Ahsanul Fataawa of Hadhrath Mufti Rashid Ahmed Ludhyanwi and 20 volumes of Fataawa Mahmudiyyah of Hadhrath Mufti Mahmood Hasan Gangohi Rahmatullahi Alaih and answering 300 Fataawa.
Asaatiza of Darul Iftaa:
The Dars at the Darul Iftaa is conducted by Mufti Husain Kadodia Sahab and myself.
The Darul Iftaa considers enrolment based on geographical need and demand and is based on recommendation of Husn Akhlaaq and Husn Isti’dad from senior Ulama of their countries.
The enrolment for the students of the next academic year is complete. There will be Ulama from Russia, United States, U.K., Canada and Zambia.
The Darul Iftaa maintains a constant contact with its previous students. Alhamdulillah, all our students are actively engaged in the field of Fataawa. Mufti Faisal Riza from Australia has established a Darul Iftaa in Melbourne and he has a popular websitewww.fatwa.org.au. Mufti Faraz bin Adam has established a Darul Iftaa in Ireland and has a website www.darulfiqh.com. He has also started an online institute www.almahmudiyyah.org. Mufti Faisal Niazi has also established a Darul Iftaa in Montreal Canada and has a website fatwa.ca. The Darul Iftaa also has its contacts with its past 2010 students and offers them all the necessary support. Mufti Abdur Rahman Shareef is based in Botswana and has been requested to open up a Darul Iftaa there. We are giving him the necessary support for that.
Alhamdulillah, this year the Darul Iftaa answered approximately 2,000 Fataawas. Most of the Fataawa were answered from the websites. This is apart from the telephone queries we receive daily. Alhamdulillah, most of the telephone queries are from the Ulama and Imams of the Masaajid.
The Darul Iftaa services 4 websites:
The askimam website has published approximately 14,000 Fataawas and receives an average of 100,000 hits per day. The Darul Iftaa realized the need to pay attention to feminine related issues and has established a website for woman run by women on www.idealwoman.org. Alhamdulillah, the response on this site is phenomenal.
This site also helps co-ordinate home industries, cooking, baking, dress making for women fending for themselves like widows and divorcees etc.
The Darul Iftaa focuses on Tasheeh muamalaat and Alhamdulillah this year the Darul Iftaa conducted successful business campaign in Durban, Pietermaritzburg, New Castle, Welkom, Empangeni and Zambia. There are many requests from the Guateng and Cape Town and Botswana which we are considering. It is with the Barakah of these programs that 50% of the local quesries and telephone and correspondence are on business related issues. Alhamdulillah, we observed that our community is becoming more and more conscious on Shariah Compliancy in Muamalaat and dealings.
In these campaigns we gave out 1,000s of copies of Mudarabah contracts, Musharakah contracts, Ijaarah contracts and pamphlets on Will and Estates, Family Values, Business and Ethics, Creditors Rights and Debt Management.
We also developed the Al-Mabroor property investment scheme, buffalo investment scheme and cattle investment scheme. The Darul Iftaa merely prepares and audits the investment portfolio and has nothing to do with the marketing or operations of the scheme and has no financial gain in the investment schemes. We also prepared an investment scheme for Checkout Supermarket which has the biggest and fastest growing outlets in the country. The Darul Iftaa also conducted a daily business compliant program on the local radio station which has generated great interest in the community. In the past 2 weeks we conducted a program on how to calculate Zakaah.
The Darul Iftaa is inundated with requests from many parts of the world to help and assist in Islamic Finance related issues. Our humble observation is if our Ulama who are well versed in Islamic Finance do not take an active role in guiding the Ummah on Islamic Finance, this vacuum will be filled by wrong people who will lead the Ummah to conventional finance schemes in the name of Islamic Finance. We see it and witness it all the time.
1. Credit Cards – The Fiqhi issue that deserves attention is, in a credit card contract, one agrees to pay interest on late payments. What is the implication of agreeing on such an un-Islamic condition, in a loan, in a Bai, and in Ijaarah?
2. In-Vitro Fertility – An alternative way of conceiving children if a woman cannot conceive the natural way.
3. Maradhul Maut – Which period is regarded as Maradhul Maut considering the fact that many fatal sicknesses today are long lasting like sugar diabetes?
4. National Anthem – This is a question coming from Islamic schools enquiring whether the national anthem can be sung on major events.
5. External use of Cochineal – Cochineal is an insect. It is used as a dye.
6. Breakdown Coverage – Analyzing AA. Is it insurance or is it a service?
7. Halal and Haram animals –A list comprising of 300 animals and categorizing which animal is Halal and which is Haram. This will be particularly useful for hunters.
8. Mastooraat Jamaat
9. Zakāh on Shares
10. Haircuts and styles
11. Tabligh Jamaat in Kazakhstan – A letter sent to a judge to unban the noble work of Tabligh.
Ulama Refreshner Course
Many Ulama have repeatedly requested the Darul Iftaa to conduct refreshner Fiqhi courses. Alhamdulillah, we are now in a position to offer such courses and we will inform the Ulama accordingly. However, there are many business and professional people that attend evening Arabic classes everyday that is conducted by my son Ismail. The students have completed the first year and will be entering the second year.
The Darul Iftaa is inundated with requests for commercial mediations and arbitrations. Alhamdulillah a sound system is put in place to conduct mediations and arbitrations. The Darul Iftaa successfully conducted 20 Major Commercial Mediations/Arbitrations. The Darul Iftaa also supervises the Fatwa Department of the Jamiat and heads the Judicial Committee of the Jamiat.
B.E.E.P (Business Educational Empowerment Programme)
B.E.E.P is a daily email listing with a database of thousands of individuals, businessmen and professionals. The feedback on the Beep Programme is encouraging.
Translations and Publications
Hadhrath Moulana Ebrahim Pandor Sahab Damat Barakatuhum has tasked the Darul Iftaa with the responsibility of translating some portions of Fataawa Mahmoodiyyah in English. Make duaa Allah makes this easy upon us. Hadhrath Mufti Ahmed Khanpuri Sahab Damat Barakatuhum conducts weekly Islaahi program in Surat. At the moment, he is conducting Dars on Shamaail-e-Tirmidhi.
The Darul Iftaa follows up the weekly Majlis and translates the weekly Majlis. Inshallah, as Hadhrath completes his Shamaail, the translation will also be completed and will be ready for publishing.
The Darul Iftaa had the honor of being visited by many great Ulama. Apart from my esteemed Asaatizah here today,
1. Hadhrath Mufti Ahmed Khanpuri Sahab from Dhabel, India
2. Hadhrath Moulana Yusuf Kawi Sahab from Dhabel, India
3. Hadhrath Moulana Suleman Choksi Sahab from Johannessburg
The following are some Ulama that visited the Darul Iftaa and were fortunate to get their Duaas and Tawajjuh.
1. Shaykh Muhammad Awwamah from Madinah Munawwarah
2. Hadhrat Moulana Mazhar Sahab from Pakistan
3. Hadhrat Mufti Salman Mansoorpuri Sahab from India
4. Hadhrat Moulana Abdul Hameed Sahab from Azaadville
5. Hadhrat Moulana Fadhlur Rahman A’zmi from Azaadville
6. Hadhrat Moulana Abdul Hafeez Makki Sahab from Makkah
7. Hadhrat Moulana Ibrahim Pandor Sahab from Johannesburg
8. Shaykh Hasan from Melbourne, Australia
9. Hadhrat Moulana Ibrahim Memon Madani Sahab from Darul Uloom Canada
10. Hadhrat Mufti Shafeequl Islam Sahab from Bangladesh
11. Shaykh Abbasi from Masjid Al-Aqsa
I wish to express my heartfelt gratitude to all of you for gracing our Jalsa. May Allah reward you abundantly. Ameen.
I place on record my special Shukriyyah to the Imam and trustees of Masjid-us-Saliheen. Hadhrath Moulana Ahmed Chohan Sahab, Hafiz Suleman Makada, Professor Randeree, Hafiz Shakir and all the other silent soldiers behind them for helping and assisting the Darul Iftaa at all times and in particular during this occasion. May Allah reward all of you abundantly.